Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Homegrown Tomatoes and Garlic

Here is a small 6" x 6" still life to sharpen my observational skills.   I have been struggling to create engaging  landscapes recently and have found it relaxing to take a break and paint a still life.  I wonder what message I should take from this insight?   Hmmmm  Perhaps if I had the opportunity to revisit the plein air painting locations to "complete" a painting, I could make more accurate observations of nature.  Here in New England the weather and lighting is never the same for two days in a row, or even for 2 hours some days. My finished landscapes sometimes involve as much imagination as observation.  

1 comment:

Curtis Faville said...

"I have . . . found it relaxing to take a break and paint a still life."

And you got just what you put into it.

You've done this before, but you didn't make anything out of this. It's flat.

You've mastered the shapes of the vegetables. it's no longer a challenge for you.

What can you make out of it?